Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Practicing for the Praxis


I in fact did have another panic attack on Saturday after purchasing and downloading a Praxis Study Guide and Practice Praxis Exam.
The first page of the Study Guide read:
While paging numbly throughout the study guide the only information I concluded was how ill-prepared I felt and how pointless purchasing the study guide was. Most of the information inside was like: "Make a study plan!" "Take your time!" and "Don't wait until the last minute!" Well thanks for those friendly reminders. Note: Don't waste your money on purchasing this half, instead go all in for the practice exam!
And so, I decided to take a glance into the exam...
After reading the first page alone, I panicked and snapped my computer lid shut. I couldn't handle it. Sweaty palms, heart racing, I thought I was about to pass out.
Thankfully, after I regained my composure the next day (a normally lazy Sunday afternoon) I sat down and began to take my practice exam. 120 questions in 120 minutes. I trudged through painstakingly and when I didn't have a question of a doubt in my mind about some right answers, I cheered happily to myself.
People, get ready to recall EVERYTHING you have once learned. I wish I was exaggerating, but I am not. This really is a cumulative assessment and you'd be surprised to know you do know a lot of the content if you paid attention in high school English. If not, it's not to late to start refreshing yourself on what alliteration is, how to define dependent clauses, and writing annotations / bibliography entries. However, if you allow me to be honest for a minute, I must tell you that a lot of questions are in regard to reading a passage and then identifying something (i.e. what the author's point may be, etc). The absolute hardest part for me featured a few moments where a long passage is posted and then the only question for that passage is "Who is the author?" Uhhhh. Okay. So while we've spent most of our college career reading countless authors throughout history, there were still some on there that I've never read. (Someone please tell me when I was supposed to have the time to do this?)
The good news: You aren't penalized for wrong answers so guess your little hearts out. There aren't trick questions (thank goodness). Everything is multiple choices (yay Scantrons...). You can take it as many times as your heart so desires.
The best news: It's not actually that awful. Like I said, we do know this stuff. Just take a deep breath and practice for it. It'll be alright. I'm happy to say I passed it this practice round. I'm sure you can do the same, once you get pass the initial shock. If you have any other questions about it, I suggest really buying the practice exam, or maybe some of us can gather together and have a refresh night. Just know that it is a big test, the pressure is on, but you were born for this moment. You'll be great!
Here are two practice questions to get your brains thumping:

At the end of yesterday I was mentally exhausted from doing schoolwork all weekend and after completing that Practice Praxis Exam, but it was worth it, you know? Soon I'll be getting to do what I love... soon I'll be getting to teach! And you will too. Rock on small people, rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment