Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

I'm an English major, you do the math.


Let me share a few numbers and figures with you...
-- As of this past Saturday (11/12) we are officially less than six months away from graduation.
-- There are only 33 more days until the end of this semester.
-- There are only 9 more days until Thanksgiving break.
-- There are only 4 more days until the weekend.  

Saturday also marked the Praxis II test for some of us. Although I was still nervous from all the weight that test carries, I was so incredibly happy after I was finished with it. 2 hours and 120 questions later, I was jumping with joy. Again let me tell you that I think the practice Praxis test that you can purchase is extremely helpful. But I’ll also tell you that the practice test is much harder than the actual one. I was proud to walk out of that room with three of my friends, all feeling confident in ourselves and the direction were heading.
This past week has also marked the end of our official first week of teacher placement. I had the opportunity to talk to some of you about your experiences and I’m so happy to hear they’re all going so well! I want to hear all the details about everyone’s experience! (Comment below!)
Back to the numbers...
There are 1440 minutes in a single day. This week I’ve had to get up at 6 am, leave my house at 7am, take a 20 minute drive, spend the next eight hours in a classroom full of 18-30 students, make the 30 minute drive home (traffic’s increased now), and finish all of my remaining work, eat dinner and take a shower within the last 6 ½ hours before my strict 10:30 bedtime. (I know for some of you, you have much more difficult and exhaustive regimes, so I apologize for making this moment about me right now.) I do this routine a full three days a week as of now. Come January, we’ll be doing this for five straight days for months on end. Now I know what most of you are thinking… is this worth it? Is this the kind of dedication it takes? Is this what the rest of my life is going to feel like?
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. And more. It’s part of the price we’re going to pay. We put in long hours in and out of school. This isn't the 9 months of teaching, 3 months of summer vacation. Teaching; lesson planning; grading; living our own lives. And what do we get from it? Some of the greatest rewards any job can offer. This isn’t a job or occupation; this will be a way of life. And right now, we’re getting a small sample of it.
I’m not sure about all of you, but from those that I have talked to I already see your happiness radiating as you share with me your experiences. The rewards are already abundant and we’ve only had a few short days testing the waters. Yes, it's stressful and sometimes we're going to have no other option but to cry. But remember: You are changing lives!
Now I’m not about to say that every day is rainbows and lollipops, but what we have to remember what’s important at the end of each day.
There are 1440 minutes in a single day. You are privileged to spend 360- 420 minutes each day with a room full of open young minds. You have minutes of opportunity. Spend every second as wisely as you can. Students are sitting in classrooms for 9 months for 12 straight years. They’re asking to be taught, they’re willing to explore. Present these opportunities in your classroom. Don't accept any norm, rather challenge ideas and push the limits. Change someone's way of thinking. Do great. 
"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them." - William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment